Western Cape Privileges and Immunities of Councillors Act
Act 7 of 2011
- Published in Western Cape Provincial Gazette 6937 on 13 December 2011
- Assented to on 12 December 2011
- Commenced on 13 December 2011
- [This is the version of this document from 13 December 2011 and includes any amendments published up to 29 September 2023.]
1. DefinitionsIn this Act, unless the context indicates otherwise—"Code of Conduct" means the Code of Conduct for Councillors contained in Schedule 1 to the Local Government: Municipal Systems Act, 2000 (Act 32 of 2000);"committee", in relation to a council, means a committee established by the council in terms of any law and consisting of councillors only, including—(a)an executive committee established in terms of section 42 of the Municipal Structures Act;(b)an appeal committee established in terms of section 62(4)(c)(ii) of the Local Government: Municipal Systems Act, 2000; and(c)a special committee established in terms of item 14 of the Code of Conduct;"council" means the municipal council of a municipality established in terms of section 12(1) of the Municipal Structures Act;"councillor" means a member of a council;"mayoral committee" means a committee appointed by an executive mayor in terms of section 60 of the Municipal Structures Act;"Municipal Structures Act" means the Local Government: Municipal Structures Act, 1998 (Act 117 of 1998);"precincts", in relation to a council, means any venue or room where the council or any of its committees or subcouncils or its mayoral committee holds a meeting;"rules and orders" means the rules and orders of a council as envisaged in section 160(6) of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996; and"subcouncil" means a metropolitan subcouncil established in terms of section 62 of the Municipal Structures Act and includes a committee appointed in terms of section 71 of that Act.
2. Freedom of speech of councillors
3. Immunity of councillors
4. Arrest of councillors and serving of court documents in council precincts
5. Short titleThis Act is called the Western Cape Privileges and Immunities of Councillors Act, 2011.
History of this document
13 December 2011 this version
12 December 2011