Western Cape Monitoring and Support of Municipalities Act, 2014
Act 4 of 2014
- Published in Western Cape Provincial Gazette 7251 on 11 April 2014
- Assented to on 31 March 2014
- Commenced on 6 June 2014 by Western Cape Monitoring and Support of Municipalities Act, 2014: Commencement
- [This is the version of this document from 11 April 2014 and includes any amendments published up to 17 November 2023.]
1. DefinitionsIn this Act, unless the context indicates otherwise—"Constitution" means the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996;“Department" means the provincial department responsible for local government;"investigator", in relation to any matter, means the person or persons designated by the Provincial Minister in terms of section 7(1)(a) to investigate that matter;“Municipal Finance Management Act" means the Local Government: Municipal Finance Management Act, 2003 (Act 56 of 2003);"municipal manager" means a person appointed in terms of section 54A of the Municipal Systems Act;"Municipal Systems Act" means the Local Government: Municipal Systems Act, 2000 (Act 32 of 2000);"municipality" means a municipality as defined in section 1 of the Municipal Systems Act;"practice note" means a practice note issued in terms of section 4;"prescribe" means prescribe by regulation;"Province" means the province of the Western Cape;"Provincial Government" means the government of the Province;"Provincial Minister" means the provincial minister responsible for local government affairs in the Province;"regulation" means a regulation made under section 10;"this Act" includes any regulation.
2. Sharing information and knowledge regarding municipal powers and functionsIn order to strengthen the capacity and improve the performance of municipalities, the Provincial Minister-
3. Requests by municipalities for assistance
4. Practice notes
5. Assessment before invoking section 106(1) of Municipal Systems ActThe Provincial Minister must, before taking action under section 106(1) of the Municipal Systems Act—
6. Invoking section 106(1) of Municipal Systems Act
7. Investigation of municipality
8. Powers under section 139 of Constitution and Chapter 13 of Municipal Finance Management ActThis Act does not derogate from the powers of—
10. RegulationsThe Provincial Minister may make regulations regarding any ancillary or incidental matter, which the Provincial Minister thinks necessary or expedient to prescribe for the proper implementation or administration of this Act.
11. Offences and penaltiesA person who—
12. Short title and commencementThis Act is called the Western Cape Monitoring and Support of Municipalities Act, 2014, and comes into operation on a date determined by the Premier by proclamation in the Provincial Gazette.
History of this document
06 June 2014
11 April 2014 this version
31 March 2014