This By-law was repealed on 2023-08-11 by Electricity Supply.
Electricity Supply By-law, 2014
- Published in Western Cape Provincial Gazette 7285 on 11 July 2014
- Commenced on 11 July 2014
- [This is the version of this document from 11 July 2014 and includes any amendments published up to 11 August 2023.]
- [Repealed by Electricity Supply on 11 August 2023]
GENERAL CONDITIONS OF SUPPLY
2. Provision of electricity servicesOnly the municipality shall supply or contract for the supply of electricity within the jurisdiction of the municipality in terms of NERSA distribution license areas, which incorporates the approved urban edge of towns included in the distribution license.
3. Electricity SupplyNo person may use or be entitled to use an electricity supply from the municipality without approval of the municipality.
4. Service of notice
5. Compliance with noticesAny person on whom a notice duly issued or given under this by-law must, within the time specified in such notice, comply with its terms.
6. Application for supply
7. Processing of requests for supplyApplications for the supply of electricity must be processed and the supply made available within the periods stipulated in NRS 047.
8. Way leaves
9. Statutory Servitude
10. Right of admittance to inspect, test or do maintenance work
11. Refusal or failure to give informationNo person may refuse or fail to give information that may be reasonably required of him or her by an authorised official of the municipality or render any false information regarding any electrical installation work completed or contemplated.
12. Refusal of admittanceNo person may willfully hinder, obstruct, interfere with or refuse admittance to any authorised official of the municipality in the performance of his duty under this by-law.
13. Improper use
14. Electricity tariffsCopies of tariffs may be obtained free of charge at the offices of the municipality.
15. DepositsThe municipality reserves the right to require the consumer to deposit a sum of money as security in payment of any tariff which is due or may become due to the municipality.
16. Payment of tariffs
17. Interest on overdue accountsThe municipality may charge interest on arrear accounts in terms of its Credit Control and Debt Collection Policy.
18. Principles for the resale of electricity
19. Right to disconnect supply
20. Non-liability of the municipality
21. Leakage of electricityNo rebate shall be allowed in respect of electricity wasted owing to leakage or any other fault in the electrical installation.
22. Failure of supply
23. Seals of the municipalityThe meter, service protective devices and all apparatus belonging to the municipality shall be sealed or locked by a duly authorised official of the municipality, and no person shall in any manner or for any reason whatsoever remove, break, deface, or tamper or interfere with such seals or locks.
24. Tampering with service connection or supply mains
25. Protection of municipality’s supply mains
26. Prevention of tampering with service connection or supply mainsIf the municipality decides that it is necessary or desirable to take precautions in order to prevent tampering with any portion of the supply mains, service connection or service protective device or meter or metering equipment, the consumer shall either supply and install the necessary protection or pay the costs involved where such protection is supplied by the municipality.
27. Unauthorised connectionsNo person other than a person authorised thereto by the municipality in writing shall directly or indirectly connect, attempt to connect or cause or permit to be connected any electrical installation or part thereof to the supply mains or service connection.
28. Unauthorised re-connections
29. Temporary disconnection and re-connection
30. Temporary suppliesIf electricity supply is found to interfere with the efficient and economical supply to other consumers, the municipality may, with notice, or under exceptional circumstances without notice, terminate such temporary supply at any time and the municipality shall not be liable for any loss or damage occasioned by the consumer by such termination.
31. Temporary work
32. Load reduction
33. High, medium and low voltage switchgear and equipment
34. Substation accommodation
35. Wiring diagram and specification
36. Standby supplyStandby supply of electricity from the municipality for any premises having a separate source of electricity may only be supplied with the written consent of the municipality.
37. Consumer’s emergency standby supply and generating equipment
38. Circular lettersThe municipality may issue circulars detailing its requirements regarding matters not specifically covered in the Regulations or this by-law but which are necessary for the safe, efficient operation and management of the supply of electricity.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONSUMERS
39. Consumer to erect and maintain electrical installationAny electrical installation connected or to be connected to the supply mains, and any additions or alterations thereto shall be provided and maintained by the consumer at his own expense and in accordance with this by-law and the Regulations.
40. Fault in electrical installation
41. Discontinuance of use of supplyA consumer who wishes to discontinue the electricity supply must give at least two full working days’ notice in writing.
42. Change of occupier
43. Service apparatus
SPECIFIC CONDITIONS OF SUPPLY
44. Service connection
45. Metering accommodation
SYSTEMS OF SUPPLY
46. Load requirementsAlternating current supplies shall be given as prescribed by the Electricity Act, 1987 (Act 41 of 1987), and in the absence of a quality of supply agreement, as set out in applicable standard specification.
47. Load limitations
48. Interference with other persons’ electrical equipment
49. Supplies to motorsUnless otherwise approved by the municipality the rating of motors shall be limited as follows—
The starting current of three-phase low voltage motors permitted shall be related to the capacity of the consumer’s service connection, as follows—
|Insulatedservicecable, sizein mm²,copperequivalent||Maximumpermissiblestartingcurrent||Maximum motor rating in kW|
|Direct online (6x full-load current)||Star/Delta(2,5 x full-load current)||Other means(1,5 x fullload current)|