Prevention of Illegal Eviction from and Unlawful Occupation of Land Act, 1998
Act 19 of 1998
- Published in Government Gazette no. 18964 on 5 June 1998
- Assented to on 2 June 1998
- Commenced on 5 June 1998
- [This is the version of this document from 5 June 1998.]
1. DefinitionsIn this Act, unless the context indicates otherwise—
2. Application of ActThis Act applies in respect of all land throughout the Republic.
3. Prohibition of receipt or solicitation of consideration in respect of unlawful occupation of land
4. Eviction of unlawful occupiers
5. Urgent proceedings for eviction
6. Eviction at instance of organ of state
8. Offences and private prosecutions
9. Jurisdiction of magistrate’s courtNotwithstanding any provision of any other law, a magistrate’s court has jurisdiction to issue any order or instruction or to impose any penalty authorised by the provisions of this Act.
10. Transfer of powers, duties or functionsThe President may by proclamation in the Gazette, either generally or in respect of such area or in such circumstances as may be specified in the proclamation, provide that any power, duty or function which in terms of this Act is permitted or required to be exercised, carried out or performed by any authority or person mentioned in the Act, may be or must be, as the case may be, exercised, carried out or performed by such authority or person, including a person in the service of such authority or an organ of state, as may be specified in the proclamation.
11. Repeal and amendment of laws, and savings
12. RegulationsThe Minister may make regulations in respect of any matter which is required to be prescribed by the Minister in terms of this Act or which is necessary or desirable in order to achieve the objectives of this Act, and any such regulation may create offences and provide for penalties in respect thereof.
13. Short titleThis Act is called the Prevention of Illegal Eviction from and Unlawful Occupation of Land Act, 1998.
History of this document
05 June 1998 this version
Published in Government Gazette number 18964
02 June 1998