This Government Notice was repealed on 2020-07-22 by Directions on Measures to Address, Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID-19 in the Public Transport Services, 2020.
This is the version of this Government Notice as it was when it was repealed.
Disaster Management Act, 2002
Public Transport Services Directions, 2020
Government Notice 493 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette no. 43272 on 4 May 2020
- Assented to on 4 May 2020
- Commenced on 4 May 2020
- [This is the version of this document from 1 June 2020.]
- [Amended by Public Transport Services Directions, 2020: Amendment (Government Notice 504 of 2020) on 6 May 2020]
- [Amended by Public Transport Services Directions, 2020: Amendment (Government Notice R587 of 2020) on 22 May 2020]
- [Amended by Public Transport Services Directions, 2020: Amendment (Government Notice 614 of 2020) on 1 June 2020]
- [Repealed by Directions on Measures to Address, Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID-19 in the Public Transport Services, 2020 (Government Notice of 2020) on 22 July 2020]
1. DefinitionsIn these directions, any word or expression bears the meaning assigned to it in the National Land Transport Act, 2009 or its regulations, unless the context otherwise indicates-"COVID-19" means the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov2) which is an infectious disease caused by a virus that has previously not been scientifically identified in humans, which emerged during 2019 and was declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organization in 2020;"Disaster Management Act" means Disaster Management Act, 2002 (Act No 57 of 2002);"public transport facility" means any rank, train stations, terminal or any facility which may be used for public transport purposes;"public transport vehicle" means a motorcar, minibus, midibus and bus as defined in terms of the Act;"the Act" means the National Land Transport Act, 2009 (Act No. 5 of 2009).
3. Purpose of the directionsThe purpose of the directions is to provide for:
4. Application of the directionsThese directions are applicable to all public transport services and facilities.
5. Provision of improved access and hygiene, disinfection control on all public transport facilities
6. Embarkation of passengers in public transport vehicles
7. Inter-provincial public transportLong distance provincial public transport is permitted for a person permitted to travel between provinces in terms of the Alert Level applicable.[direction 7 substituted by Government Notice 614 of 2020]
8. Public transport operation
9. Loading capacity of public transport vehicles (sedan, e-hailing, meter taxis, shuttle services, chauffer driven vehicles minibus, midibus and buses)
10. Validity period for all public transport operating licences and accreditation certificates for tourist transport services
11. Enforcement of these directionsEnforcement officers as defined in terms of the Disaster Management Regulations must enforce the provisions of these directions.
12. Repeal of directionsThe Directions published by Government Notice No. 412 of the Government Gazette 43157 of 26 March 2020, as amended by Government Notice Nos. R 431 of 30 March 2020, R. 436 of 31 March 2020 and R. 454 of 07 April 2020, are hereby repealed.
13. Short title and commencementThese Directions are called the Public Transport Services Directions, 2020 and comes in to operation on the date of publication by the Minister in the Gazette.
History of this document
01 June 2020 this version
22 May 2020
06 May 2020
04 May 2020
Published in Government Gazette number 43272
Commences.Read this version