Provincial Appropriation Act, 2023
- Published in Gauteng Provincial Appropriation Act 311 on 31 August 2023
- Assented to on 19 July 2023
- Commenced on 31 August 2023
- [This is the version of this document from 31 August 2023.]
1. DefinitionsIn this Act, unless the context indicates otherwise, a word or an expression to which a meaning has been assigned in the Public Finance Management Act, 1999, has the meaning assigned to it in that Act, and—“conditional grants” means allocations to provinces, local government or municipalities from the national government’s share of revenue raised nationally, provided for under section 214(1)(c) of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996;“current payments” means any payment made by a provincial department in respect of the operational requirements of that department, and includes, amongst others, payments for the compensation of employees, goods and services, interest, rental of immovable property and financial transactions relating to assets and liabilities, but excludes transfers and subsidies, payments for capital assets and payments made under section 73 of the Public Finance Management Act, 1999;“payments for capital assets” means any payment made by a provincial department—(a)for assets that can be used continuously or repeatedly in production for more than one year, and from which future economic benefits or service potential is expected to flow directly to the provincial department making the payment; and(b)that must be classified as or deemed to be payments for capital assets in accordance with the “Reference Guide to the Economic Reporting Format”, (September 2009) and the “Asset Management Framework” (April 2004, Version 3.3), issued by the National Treasury under section 76 of the Public Finance Management Act, 1999;“this Act” includes the Schedule; and“transfers and subsidies” means any payment made by a provincial department to another organ of state or any other person in respect of which the provincial department does not receive anything of similar value directly in return, and includes the payment of conditional grants.
2. Appropriation of money for the requirements of the Gauteng Province
3. Amounts listed as specifically and exclusively appropriatedAn amount within a vote or main division within a vote that are listed as specifically and exclusively appropriated in the Schedule to this Act may only be utilised for the purpose indicated and may not be used for any other purpose, unless an Act of the Gauteng Provincial Legislature amends or changes the purpose for which it was allocated.
4. Short titleThis Act is called the Gauteng Provincial Appropriation Act, 2023.
History of this document
31 August 2023 this version
19 July 2023