Western Cape Petitions Act
Act 3 of 2006
- Published in Western Cape Provincial Gazette no. 6393 on 8 November 2006
- Assented to on 6 November 2006
- Not commenced
- [This is the version of this document from 8 November 2006.]
1. DefinitionsIn this Act, unless the context indicates otherwise-"Committee" means the standing committee of the Provincial Parliament appointed to deal with public petitions;"National Constitution"means the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996;"Petitioner" means a person who has submitted a petition to the Provincial Parliament;"Provincial Executive" means the provincial executive authority referred to in section 35 of the Constitution of the Western Cape;"Provincial Parliament" means the Provincial Parliament of the Province of the Western Cape;"Secretary" means the Secretary to the Provincial Parliament;"Speaker" means the Speaker of the Provincial Parliament;"Standing Rules" means the rules made by the Provincial Parliament in terms of section 23(3)(b) of the Constitution of the Western Cape;"this Act" includes the regulations made under section 8.
2. Right to petition
3. Formal requirements for petitions
4. Contents of petitions
5. Consideration of petitions by Committee
6. Reports by Provincial ExecutiveWhen the Provincial Parliament has referred a matter to the Provincial Executive as contemplated in section 5(3)(c), the Premier or the responsible Minister must, within four weeks from the date of the relevant resolution, table a report in the Provincial Parliament on the position of the Provincial Executive regarding the matter and any steps taken or to be taken to address the concerns of the Petitioner.
7. Administrative supportThe Secretary must ensure that adequate administrative assistance is provided to-
9. Short title and commencementThis Act is called the Western Cape Petitions Act, 2006, and comes into effect on a date set by the Premier by proclamation in the Provincial Gazette.
History of this document
08 November 2006 this version
Published in Western Cape Provincial Gazette number 6393
06 November 2006
|Western Cape Petitions Regulations, 2010||Provincial Notice 232 of 2010|